Thursday, November 14, 2013
Chester Nez by Steven Kraft
"I am very proud to have served." Chester Nez said this. What I learned from him is that even if you are not helped by your country, it is still your country. Like Chester the veteran that I interviewed was very proud to have served his country. Chester was part of the Navaho tribe and lived on a reservation in the southwest. Chester was one of the thirty Navaho to be selected for the task of creating and using a code for the army in WW2. It was the only unbroken code in modern warfare. Chester and his Navaho's pals were very good at sending and receiving codes. They did a four hour job in 2 minutes. Now that's efficiency. Because of there past of working together the Navaho were good at it and did not argue, because of this they were good at developing a very complex and important code. The Navaho were tough because they would have to walk 20 miles a day to feed there sheep. Chester worked with his family on his grandmas sheep farm to barely make a living. Chester was hit if he spoke Navaho in boarding school but he and his Navaho buddy's helped win WW2 by speaking Navaho.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I thought the story about the sheep was so incredibly sad. How hard on their economy!
ReplyDelete