Sunday, November 17, 2013

Chester Nez

Chester Nez

" I am so happy that I got to serve our country as a code talker. " were the words of Chester Nez. He repeatedly said these words over and over which shows that the war, really made an impact on him. A turning point in his life would be when he was at boarding school and the "teachers" had forbade Chester on talking his native language which was the Navajo language, then, when the war came, they had him enlisted. Once he and 29 other men had developed the Navajo language, they had used this language in battles in such places like Guam, Peleliu (bloodiest battle), and Angaur. Just like how Louie was dropping bombs everywhere during the war. He had served 40 years and was very proud of what he had accomplished. Going to the presentation was a huge turning point for me, not only the presentation, but the whole unit, really changed my perspective. Honestly, I thought that World War II was between the US and Germany, what I didn’t know was that the Japanese was involved. Now that I know that, I am extremely thankful that Chester Nez was there when we needed him. When it came to comparing Chester Nez with Louie Zamperini, I realized that they had a few things in common like having forgiveness as a priority. Because of the Navajo language, we won World War II.

1 comment:

  1. Felysity - in your post you stated, "he "teachers" had forbade Chester on talking his native language which was the Navajo language..." Why do you think this was the case?

    ReplyDelete