Thursday, November 14, 2013

Chester Nez presentation


In the presentation of Chester Nez, the last surviving original code talker, I learned many things about the Navaho Native Americans and more about World War 2. Also I learned about the military more and the was the government was back then. "I am very happy to have served for America and I am very proud to have created the code the Japanese could not crack." This quote by Chester is a great way to show how he felt about his actions in the war. I think he was so happy just to be a part of that. The presentation was amazing and it was a honor to be in the presence of a WW2 hero. Everyone was super respectful of him when he talked and they clapped when he was done. Also everyone listened to him because everyone wanted to hear what he had to say. we still got the main point of the presentation. He was a little hard to understand but The presentation made me think differently on WW2 and the people who served in it. Even though Chester was angry at the way the U.S government had treated them he still decided to fight for the country and that is a great thing he did. I think that is great patriotism by Chester and I don't think everyone would of done the same. A historian question is if Chester and his Navaho friends wouldn't have agreed to the code how the war would have turned out. This connects to Unbroken because Louie forgave the Japanese for torturing him just like Chester forgave the American government for killing his sheep. The presentation was great and I think it was a once in a lifetime opportunity and I don't think it could've been any greater than it was.

1 comment:

  1. Michael - how can you apply the lessons of Nez into your own life?

    ReplyDelete