Chester Nez 93, is the last code talker from WW2 he was a Navajo Indian and he was a very important person in the war, they had to create their own language in a short amount of time. They needed to create this because the Japanese were cracking every code they had and the U.S had to come up with a way to communicate without Japan finding out. The code was learned by 29 Navajo Indians in only 11 weeks. The Navajo Indians never had time to rest they were always in the war no matter how tired they were. Chester said.. " I am very honored to say that I have served my country and that I am one of the ones to invent a code that the Japanese could not crack". Louie had to forgive the bird just like Chester had to forgive the people that bull eyed him. This was a huge turning point because know one knew what this code was and how to crack it, it was also a big turning point because it changed the whole face of the war and the U.S. got closer to victory. Two questions I have for Chester is what was it like to be shot ate while you are communicating the code?
Also how many people total have ever learned the side just besides the original 29? This was a great experience and I learned a lot it was a blast to hear from a person who changed the war.
Christian - great points about the connection between Louie and Chester. Do you think that Americans today would react in the same way?
ReplyDelete