Monday, November 18, 2013

Chester Nez

    Throughout World War II the Japanese found a way to crack every code the U.S military used. This was until the U.S military recruited the Navajo people to come up with a code that no one could crack. “ I am very proud and happy to say I have spent my time with the U.S military as a code talker” said by Chester Nez proves that the thirty code talkers chosen had a once in a lifetime chance that helped the U.S win the war, even though one of them quit. I thought that the alphabet that they had to create was very interesting how they used animal names to stand for the letter. For example A was called ant, so the Navajo word for ant was wol-la-chee. Another thing that I thought was amazing was that when a military commander tested them against his communications men, the Navajo men cracked the code in two minutes and it took the commanders men four hours. After reading Unbroken and hearing the story of Louie Zamperini I was able to connect it to Chester Nez the last living code talker. One thing they had in common was that they both made a huge impact in the war and they both had trouble growing up. For Louie being when he was growing up being bullied and getting in trouble and for Chester having all his family’s sheep and hard work ruined by the government.Two thinking like a historian question connections I made were through their eyes and turning point. This is connected to through their eyes because he was there and during the presentation we got to feel what it was like to be a Navajo code talker. Also this is a turning point because without the Navajo code talkers the Japanese could of cracked more of our codes resulting in loss of the war.

2 comments:

  1. Lexi, nice use of thinking like a historian skills!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lexie - I agree with you that we had a clear example of "through their eyes". What sorts of things can we really never fully understand about the life of Chester?

    ReplyDelete