Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Chester Nez

Chester Nez was a Marine. He was also one of the 29 code talkers and one of the last code talkers alive today. He lived in the Navajo Reservation which is but Arizona and Colorado. He lives there when he was little. He went to school when he was 5 years old as a Kindergartener and he was not treated well by the teachers. They would not let him speak his native language at school he was only able to speak English like all the other kids.They lived in a sandy areas where they lived in summer homes during the summer. They would have to take their animals 10-20 miles just to get to grassy areas to feed their animals. The code that they use is based off of our English alphabet and translated into their special code talkers code. Many people when growing up just didn't treat him right because of his race. Even though these people did not treat him right he still was willing enough to serve our country. He was very proud about serving our country when he said, “ I was very proud that I served our country, and I will always be proud of it.” This was a very good experience and very cool to meet him and be able to spread his word. These were some things that I learned about when we saw Chester Nez and the things I want to share with all of you.

2 comments:

  1. Claire, it seems that we have to give him a lot of credit for being so positive about his country! Do you think you would have been as positive had it been you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Claire - What character traits do you think Mr Nez has that enable him to serve a country so selflessly?

    ReplyDelete