Monday, November 18, 2013

Chester Nez

"I'm very proud and happy to say I've done my duty. I'm very happy about this."
The words of the last living code talker, Chester Nez. This man was capable of many things but what stands out the most is his ability to forgive. Growing up, Chester lived in a Navajo reserve on his grandmas land with his whole family in one tiny little home but he never complained. He went to a boarding school along with many other Navajo boys. From day one they were punished for speaking in their native language. Many of the boys were upset with this but did as they were told. Because Chester was Navajo he was often treated differently. Even if they got something wrong, they would be badly beaten. Kicked, punched, called names, I am very amazed this man could take all of that within' a days work. He is very strong. When a few men from they army came looking for Navajo men to use in the army, Chester knew he should apply. Even though Chester had been treated terribly because he was Navajo, he forgave them and saw this as an opportunity to prove the Navajos were just as good or maybe even better than everybody else. Chester had to forgive the people who treated him poorly to move on in his life, to help our country. Just like Louie Zamperini. Even though both men are very different, they had the same mindset, to leave it behind, and think that the future will be brighter. To this day Chester is still very proud to have done the right thing and served his country. He has proved to us selfish people that Navajo's are important. He taught me how to be proud of who I am. With out Chester and the Navajo code talkers what would are lives be like then, and today? We are very blessed to have had such amazing men fighting for our country, and such courage to do so.

-Julianne Niemi

2 comments:

  1. Julianne - I like it that you picked up on that theme of forgiveness - really a good connection between Chester and Louie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julianne - thank you so much for your thoughtful post! I really appreciate your statement, "He taught me how to be proud of who I am." A super important message for all of us to hear!

    ReplyDelete